Áras an Uachtaráin
Now the Residence of the President of Ireland, Áras an Uachtaráin, started as a modest brick house for the Phoenix Park Chief Ranger in 1751.
It was subsequently acquired as an "occasional residence" for the Lords Lieutenants and gradually evolved to a large mansion. After Ireland gained independence, it was occupied by three Governors General between 1922 and 1937, prior to the first president Dr Douglas Hyde taking up residence there.
19th century architects Francis Johnston, Jacob Owen and Decimus Burton, and more recently, Raymond McGrath, as well as stuccodores Michael Stapleton and Bartholomew Cramillion contributed to its gradual expansion, gardens and interiors.
Under the terms of the Free Educational Visits for Schools Scheme, certain qualifying school/educational visits are permitted free of charge provided certain conditions are met. These conditions are set out on the Heritage Ireland website.
For more information and to arrange a visit go to Áras an Uachtaráin.
Text and image courtesy of Heritage Ireland.