- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Eras of change and conflict (History), Politics, conflict and society (History), Continuity and change over time (History)
- Counties catered for:
- Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Sarah is a tour guide at St Canice’s Cathedral and a teacher on a mission to spark a love of history through fun, immersive workshops. With a special interest in folklore, medieval history and Church history, Sarah delivers three workshops for teachers to choose from:
- Legends of Ancient Ireland and Folklore: Pupils will learn about the Ancient gods and legends of Ireland and the people who believed in them, using masks, crafts, drama and replicas. Next pupils will delve into Ireland’s folklore and will discover the fairies, folk magic as a precursor to modern science and medicine, nature folklore and how to predict the weather. Finally, pupils will become a Seanchaí and take part in a story telling master class.
- Island of Saint’s and Scholars: Pupils will explore the lives of Ireland’s great saints with a focus on local saints and school patrons. They will learn about life in a monastery, including diet, prayer schedule and daily life. Pupils will also practice mindfulness and explore Irish saints’ connection with nature. Finally, pupils will uncover the beauty of Irish manuscripts, the painstaking lengths Irish monks went to in order to create these books and will make their own artwork
- Medieval Ireland: Pupils will learn about daily life in medieval Ireland which depended so much on nature. Pupils will explore the Gaelic middle ages, the kings, clans, geography and laws. Pupils will learn about the Norman’s, what it takes to be a knight and the stone buildings the Norman’s built. Pupils will also discover the most famous characters and events from this rich historical period.
All workshops can be tailored to each school’s needs. Each workshop is brought to life with a series of models, games, crafts, drama and replicas.
"I was delighted to receive the detailed work pack as a teaching resource for our students." - Newtown Dunleckney NS, Carlow
- Caters for Special Needs
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips