- Science, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Natural environments (Geography), Living things (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Clare, Galway, Limerick, Tipperary
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Book virtual / in-person visit
Virtual school visits
David works with Sinéad Keane in delivery of sessions. Both Specialists will need to be booked.
Pollination: how nature makes seeds and fruits
Classes: 3rd to 6th class
Materials: Paper, pencils, crayons, hand lenses, clipboards, cut flowers
Session 1 (pre-recorded, 20 mins)
- to explain the concept of pollination and how this leads to the formation of seeds and fruits.
- to exam various fruits and vegetables and how these are the outcome of pollination.
- to show how important pollination is for human lives and the decline in pollinators.
- to outline what we can do to enhance our schools and homes to support pollinator populations.
- to set up a project to determine the value of the school grounds for pollinators.
Follow-up activity: Guidance will be given on how to assess and map pollinator friendly habitats, using a prepared field work sheet (teacher led)
Session 2 (live, 40 mins)
- to examine the structure of flowers by dissection and artwork.
- to describe pollen and pollination using a Powerpoint presentation.
- to review the school grounds survey and how habitats may be created or enhanced to support pollinators, how to link to the national pollinator plan.
Worksheets & teacher's notes:
Notes and resources for the teacher to support the tutorial and fieldwork will be supplied in advance.
The programme links to the SESE, Visual Arts and SPHE curriculums.
Preview of David and Sinead's virtual workshop:
In-person school visits
David's classroom activities include engaging sessions on the tides, identifying marine organisms and talks about living marine animals which David brings into the classroom! David also leads field trips to rocky and sandy sea shores or to lakes and rivers where the children are introduced to basic sampling and identification techniques. David has run classroom and field-based activities with school children, particularly in the area of marine biology for many years.
"Sinead and David were a pleasure to deal with from the get go. They were fantastic with the kids and sparked interest through on hands engagement." - Castleconnell NS, Limerick
"Dave & Sinéad were brilliant and have visited us in person many times & hope to welcome them back in the near future." - Letterfrack NS, Galway
"The heritage experts Sinead & David were engaging warm & professional. The children in my class loved the virtual visit, have learned a lot & have a new appreciation for green spaces and the school garden. We all really enjoyed it." - Moyderwell Mercy, Kerry
"The specialists were excellent. The amount of teaching and learning content that I got from their first lesson to after the virtual one was incredible!!!!!" - St Teresa’s NS, Kerry
"Sinéad and David communicated well with the children and the activities engaged the children." - Moyasta NS, Clare
"Outstanding experience, enjoyed by everyone, including the adults." - Anonymous
"The children really enjoyed David's visit. His enthusiasm and knowledge kept the children engaged and interested throughout. They are now excited about future tasks in the class and with David again on his next visit. We would highly recommend him." - Anonymous
"Fantastic workshops. Learning through fun!" - O'Callaghan's Mills N.S., Clare
"The children really enjoyed David's second visit to us. One classroom are undertaking a bird survey at the moment after his first visit so he was checking in with this class group about how they are getting on. The children are really enjoying it and becoming very familiar with some of the bird species. Another classroom worked with David doing an experiment on the school field about earthworms which the children were very enthusiastic about." - Anonymous
"Age appropriate content and the pace of the lesson was very suitable for the children." - Kilmihil National School, Clare
"A very enjoyable experience and great learning for pupils and teacher." - Anon.
- Provides in-person visits
- Provides virtual visits
- Provides practical/hands-on activities
- Provides field trips
- Phone (Home):