- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Natural environments (Geography), Living things (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Clare, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Mayo, Sligo, Tipperary, Westmeath
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Bernie is an archaeologist with over twenty years experience. She is webmaster and editor with Galway Community Heritage Websites and iCAN (Irish Community Archive Network). Involving children and teachers with an engaging presentation about local heritage, focusing on archaeology, history and/or natural heritage she encourages participation through play and place based learning. A guided field trip to local sites of interest, such as a fort, castle, graveyard or nearby woods and river may be prepared prior to the visit. Research and recording techniques are explored. Preparation of material for a website/heritage trail may be an option (multiple visits required). Bernie encourages children to focus on what heritage means to the child, their family and community. Visits are tailored to the teacher’s preference and age appropriate.
In-person school visits
My local monument
- Presentation focusing on a certain monument type(s) local to the area of the school
- Site visit to the monument where children can record and examine the monument. Role Play encouraged to imagine life during the time the monument was in use
- Reconstruction through play/art and craft on return to the school
- Presenting the monument to the class/school/on a website
Practical, hands-on activities
- Reconstructions of monuments
- Recording techniques: measuring, photographing, sketching, drawing to scale, analysis
- Research – exploring maps and on-line resources
Visit to local site of interest may be arranged.
"Bernie was great source of information and conveyed this in an engaging and interesting way. She was very well prepared and very obliging in terms of what was requested from her."
"Bernadette was so full of knowledge and the kids really enjoyed her lessons. We got to explore local history and sites and the children showed what they learned about ringforts through art using sand to create their own design. They learned new vocabulary and we were able to integrate maths into the lesson also. Bernadette was very well organised and the day ran very smoothly and she informed us of other ideas/projects for SESE. Thanks Bernie" - Knockminna N.S.
"Bernadette was excellent with the children. The content was very interesting and the children were engaged for the whole duration of the visit. Very enjoyable."
"Bernadette really enlightened the children and adults with her knowledge and enthusiasm for history. she really brought the history of Ballinrobe and in particular Harry Clarke windows to life. She had a lovely rapport with the children" - St Joseph's P.S
"We thoroughly enjoyed our visit from Bernie. She was so informative and very interactive with the children. They loved the hands on building forts in sandboxes. Thank you" - Glenmaquin NS, Donegal
"Bernie was an excellent facilitator with a great rapport with the children and deep insights in her field" - Corballa NS, Sligo
- Provides in-person visits
- Provides practical/hands-on activities
- Provides field trips
- 086 1003888