- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Human environments (Geography), Natural environments (Geography), Environmental awareness and care (Geography/Science), Living things (Science), Materials (Science), Energy and forces (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Carlow, Clare, Dublin, Galway, Laois, Mayo, Meath, Offaly, Roscommon, Westmeath, Wicklow
Angie Kinsella is a passionate forest school leader and sustainability teacher who firmly believes in nature pedagogy. Angie feels that connecting with nature on an experiential level and encouraging learning in the outdoors is becoming ever more important in this increasingly digital age.
Angie holds a background in holistic therapies including children's yoga and mindfulness meditation practices. She is also a qualified permaculture designer working with the ethics of earth care, people care, fair share and weaving all of these practices into her diverse range of courses.
She loves bringing children and teachers into the outdoors in her ‘Nature Way’ and 'Forest School' courses. These courses inspire learning through interactive games, activities, songs, stories, nature crafts, foraging and sensory nature meditations. The sensory exploration in these courses deepens the children’s connections to nature as a result igniting curiosity and questioning, a fantastic gateway to learning about nature.
Spending time outdoors and interacting with our natural surroundings strengthens our connection to the land, allowing us to grow in our awareness as to what surrounds us. Angie is a keen plant forager and enjoys safely teaching the folklore and traditional uses of wild foods.
These courses can be held on the school grounds when suitable or in a local woodland or park. Angie teaches children how to assess and map the biodiversity in the chosen location. Within this the children will engage in orienteering, identification of flora, fauna & animal tracking along with other basic bush crafts.
These activities empower the children to recognise and connect with their everyday surroundings and to feel safe and informed in the outdoors. Throughout all of these activities Angie sows the seeds of environmental awareness and the importance of sustainability.
These courses are encouraged to take place outdoors but there is also a range of indoor nature based activities.
Some themed courses available:
- What’s around me? Biodiversity, Identification of plants, trees & fauna through interactive games and activities.
- Forest school - Engaging with nature through experiential learning. Some of these activities may include bushcraft, animal tracking, working with ropes, den building, free play, tree climbing, fire skills, storytelling through nature. (Ideally a minimum of 6 weekly sessions allows students to gain the true essence of forest school and in following with the forest school principles)
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – Craft creation through reusing our recycling.
- Nature Connection: Deepening our relationship with nature through mediation and team building games to reduce stress.
- Nature craft- using natural materials to create art projects which a focus on earth care and sustainability
While these themes could take place during a half or full day, you might consider availing of the 5 week sessions during which we could cover a wide range of content and awaken the children’s connection to the nature that surrounds us. You can choose from the suggested topics above or we can create an especially tailored set of activities together.
"Very age appropriate visit with engaging material and stories. Thank you."
"Angie is really inspiring to the teachers & pupils."
"It was a very worthwhile and educational visit, very child-friendly approach and a lot of learning experiences were enjoyed." - SN Fiontain Naofa, Tullow, Co. Carlow
"Super workshops. Teachers and pupils loved the experience."
"Thoroughly enjoyable workshop perfectly pitched for 2nd class" - Mother of Divine Grace NS
"The feedback from both teachers & children was very positive. Angie's expertise, enthusiasm & delivery were all excellent. The children learned a lot."
"Angie had a great rapport with the children. She pitched it at the right level for Senior Infants. She made sure every child could see and hear her when we worked outdoors. A really enjoyable experience" - St Louis Infant school
"The children are devastated to be finished their 5 weeks session. Thanks so much for the opportunity. Angie is a superb facilitator, the children had very positive experiences in the local woods." - St.Nicholas NS, Galway
"A child came into my office to say thanks for organising the forest schools and she was drenched but beaming. Her class loved it. We had 3 visiting Swiss students who also were hugely impressed. We love Angie and the scheme and this should be a huge commendation for Heritage in School. Thank you all so much" - School Bhride Shantalla, Galway
"The children absolutely loved the two visits and Angie was a fantastic teacher." - Claddagh NS, Galway
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips