A Cistercian abbey, founded c. 1200 by William, the Earl Marshall, and named after Tintern in Wales.
The remains consist of nave, chancel, tower, chapel and cloister. It was partly converted into living quarters after 1541, and further adapted over the centuries. The Abbey was occupied by the Colclough family from the 16th century until 1960s.
For more information and to arrange a visit go to Tintern Abbey.
The OPW offers free access to all OPW managed Heritage Sites to school-going children under their Free Schools Visits programme. This Programme is intended to support the educational curriculum and children can, with their teachers, engage with many relevant aspects of their learning including art, history and social science at these historic & heritage locations throughout the country.
Text and image courtesy of Heritage Ireland.