Emo Court was designed by the architect James Gandon in 1790 for the Earls of Portarlington and is a magnificent example of this neo-classical style. During the middle of the 20th century it was owned by the Jesuits, it was then acquired and extensively restored by Mr. Cholmeley-Harrison in the 1960s. The house is surrounded by beautiful gardens and parkland which were first laid out in the 18th century and contain formal lawns, a lake and woodland walks with many very fine trees and shrubs. The house and gardens were taken into State ownership by the OPW in 1994.
Laois Outdoor Education Centre runs science and nature workshops for primary schools at Emo Court. Students can become woodland nature detectives; exploring aquatic habitats, hunting for minibeasts and discovering the wonder and freedom that can only be found in the wide outdoors. For further information visit https://www.outdoorlearning.ie...