- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Continuity and change over time (History), Natural environments (Geography), Living things (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Clare, Kerry
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
School visits (virtual)
Sinéad works with David McGrath in delivery of sessions. Both Specialists will need to be booked.
Topic: Pollination: how nature makes seeds and fruits
Preview the visit content at https://youtu.be/Mb-LKVqj6to
Classes: 3rd to 6th class
Materials: Paper, pencils, crayons, hand lenses, clipboards, cut flowers
Session 1 (pre-recorded, 20 mins)
- to explain the concept of pollination and how this leads to the formation of seeds and fruits.
- to exam various fruits and vegetables and how these are the outcome of pollination.
- to show how important pollination is for human lives and the decline in pollinators.
- to outline what we can do to enhance our schools and homes to support pollinator populations.
- to set up a project to determine the value of the school grounds for pollinators.
Follow-up activity: Guidance will be given on how to assess and map pollinator friendly habitats, using a prepared field work sheet (teacher led)
Session 2 (live, 40 mins)
- to examine the structure of flowers by dissection and artwork.
- to describe pollen and pollination using a Powerpoint presentation.
- to review the school grounds survey and how habitats may be created or enhanced to support pollinators, how to link to the national pollinator plan.
Worksheets & teacher's notes:
Notes and resources for the teacher to support the tutorial and fieldwork will be supplied in advance.
School visits (on-site)
*On-site visits are temporarily suspended due to COVID-19
Sinéad is a botanist, ecologist and herbalist with many years experience of working with children and adults, delivering walks and classroom workshops. Typically, workshops involve the use of identification keys with hand lenses to name plants, and using fresh and dried plant material in hands on art and craft work. Field trips can be organised to woodlands, bogs, grasslands and coastal habitats, which can include plant and habitat identification using field guides and landscape management for older children. Sinéad also organises workshops and field trips around the historical and current medicinal use of common Irish native plants.
"The heritage experts Sinead & David were engaging warm & professional. The children in my class loved the virtual visit, have learned a lot & have a new appreciation for green spaces and the school garden. We all really enjoyed it." - Moyderwell Mercy, Kerry
"The specialists were excellent. The amount of teaching and learning content that I got from their first lesson to after the virtual one was incredible!!!!!" - St Teresa’s NS, Kerry
"Sinéad and David communicated well with the children and the activities engaged the children." - Moyasta NS, Clare
"Sinead was very well organised for her visit to our school. She arrived last week to give a preliminary visit to explore the surroundings and speak to the class teacher and organiser. Her lesson was very informative and pitched well. She interacted very well with the children. Each child was thrilled to have a 'magic wand' of their own to design and bring home! We were extremely pleased with her visit and would like to invite her to our school in the New Year!"
"We had an excellent day surveying our local river and investigating the plant and animal life in the habitat and surrounding area."
"Sinead is an excellent Heritage Expert who has being coming to our school (under this scheme) over the last number of years. She interacts exceptionally well with the children at all class levels and instills her knowledge in a natural fun manner. She is extremely well prepared and is a joy to work with." - Scoil Mhuire Corofin, Clare
"We have booked 5 visits in total and are working on a whole biodiversity themed project it is going great so far and the children are thoroughly enjoying it." - Tubber NS, Clare
"Sinead gave an excellent workshop to the children. I would highly recommend her to others." - Anon
"A very enjoyable experience and great learning for pupils and teacher." - Anon.
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips