- History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Eras of change and conflict (History), Politics, conflict and society (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Human environments (Geography)
- Counties catered for:
- Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow
- Classes catered for:
- Senior Infants, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Let’s go back in time together to discover the many amazing facts and people of Irish history and archaeology through crafts, fun and interactive presentations, and a true hands-on approach to bring history back to life for all the class.
Each of my workshop will have:
- an engaging and interactive presentation to give the children some facts and info about the topic at hand;
- a craft designed by me specifically for the topic, which will help the children’s learning through learning by doing. The crafts are age-appropriate and are led step-by-step by me;
- when possible, a story about the topic will bring to life people and facts for the children while they finish their craft, deepening the learning.
- A resource pack for the teacher, clear craft instructions and all the templates needed ready to be printed beforehand.
I have a PhD, a master, and a BA (Hons) in Archaeology, and I worked for several years with a company, Dig it Kids, that organises camps and events for children all over Ireland to ignite the children’s interest for Irish heritage.
All of my workshops are customisable to some extent and you can contact me requesting topics which can be particularly interesting for your class and, if I can, I would try and create the workshop that is perfect for your pupils.
Discover the wonders of the unique Book of Kells manuscript, and the story of its creation and of St Colmcille. In this workshop children will learn how to create their own illustrated Celtic art styled initial letter through a guided step-by-step art class. While they colour and finish their piece of art a story will bring to life Medieval Ireland and how the Irish monasteries saved the Irish Myths and Legends that we all know and love today.
Classes: Senior infants to 6th
Lets learn together the meaning behind family crests and what symbols and colours meant for the Anglo-Normans. Why were they so important? In this workshop the children will discover the code behind heraldry and will make their own shield, decorated by their original family crest. A story about a real family crest and a courageous knight will keep them company while they finish their shield.
Classes: 1st to 6th
How many ringforts are there in Ireland? What they were used for? Why are they called fairy forts? These and many other questions will be answered in this workshop where the children will learn all about the ringforts, daily life in Medieval Ireland, and how they were built and discovered. The children will make their own model of a ringfort and while they craft away they will listen to a story about a lovely girl and her special friend.
Classes: 3rd to 6th
Did you know that round towers were invented in Ireland? What were they built for? This workshop will show the children what life was in the early monasteries in medieval Ireland. They will discover the architectural wonders of the round towers and build their very own round tower.
Classes: 2nd to 6th
In this workshop the children will learn about the Vikings in Ireland and their amazing longboats, used to sail farther than everyone could at that time. They will make a model of a longboat while listening to an engaging story about a Dublin boy who grew up to become the greatest boat builder.
Classes: 3rd to 6th
The Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland comes alive with a workshop on the defensive marvels of the Anglo-Norman castles that made them virtually impregnable. The children will be guided in making their own model of the castle, step by step. For eager craft classes, we have an optional further step to elaborate the castle to a more ancient time.
Classes: 4th to 6th
"This was excellent. I was blown away with the children's engagement. Francesca was brilliant with them and full of fun and positivity. She was so well prepared and pitched the lesson at a very appropriate level. I would highly recommend!" - Scoil Mhuire GNS, Dublin
- Provides in-person visits
- Caters for special needs
- Provides practical/hands-on activities