The Main Guard
James Butler, Duke of Ormond, built the Main Guard in 1675 as the courthouse for the Palatinate of administrative area of County Tipperary.
In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished. In about 1810, the ground floor, a loggia of open arches, was converted into shops, a basement excavated and additional floors inserted. It has been recently restored to its original form and the open arcade of sandstone columns is once again a feature of the streetscape.
For more information and to arrange a visit go to The Main Guard.
The OPW offers free access to all OPW managed Heritage Sites to school-going children under their Free Schools Visits programme. This Programme is intended to support the educational curriculum and children can, with their teachers, engage with many relevant aspects of their learning including art, history and social science at these historic & heritage locations throughout the country.
Text and image courtesy of Heritage Ireland.