- History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Eras of change and conflict (History), Politics, conflict and society (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Human environments (Geography), Natural environments (Geography)
- Counties catered for:
- Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Yvonne can discuss the local history, folklore including Celtic mythology, natural landscape and built heritage of the locality, local Placenames/Loganamnacha and their origins/meanings with the children. She will aim to bring heritage to life inside and outside the classroom in a manner that the children can relate to - learning about local history using tangible examples and exercises and in way that will contribute to their current curriculum studies, visits can be prepared to encourage this.
Lessons could include:
- A study of Irish (Gaelic) Culture & Traditions, the language, music, poetry, dancing, traditional foods & recipes.
- Creation of a Heritage map, in the classroom we would take a look at historic maps of their local area and with use of modern online sources to build a blue print map of all the key historic features, both built & natural from holy wells to mounds, tower houses, graveyards, churches and then if possible look at the Placenames/Loganamnacha and try to establish their origins/meanings and make connections where evident. Finally taking a trip outdoors if possible to read our map in the field and find/see a couple of the key features found on the maps.
- An interactive study of Celtic mythology, & Ireland’s earliest recorded history, one of the oldest recorded histories in the world from the time of Cessair 4000BC, to the heroic race The Tuatha De Dannan, the stories of The Children of Lir, Fionn Mac Cumhaill, Queen Maebh and so many more... the aim is to inform and awaken and inspire their imaginations with an opportunity for the children to create their own Celtic fantasy story or interpret their favourite character in words or art & we will discuss some of the characters in detail and aim to pick out their discerning features, skills or qualities and what lessons can be learnt from the stories.
- Yvonne can take children on exciting historical adventures exploring the outdoors with guided tours of the local landscape and a guide to its formation, analysis of important local landmarks & sites of interest including, Irish National Heritage Park, A tour of the A study & tour of medieval Wexford taking in the Norman Way (or parts of), the Hook peninsula or The Walled Towns of Wexford or New Ross.
- Caters for Special Needs
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips
- Offers visits as Gaeilge