- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Continuity and change over time (History), Human environments (Geography), Natural environments (Geography), Environmental awareness and care (Geography/Science), Living things (Science), Materials (Science), Energy and forces (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Since he was knee-high to a grasshopper, Usna loved to study nature. Growing up, his spare time was spent searching the outdoors for earthworms, snails other animals he could find. His passion for nature led him to complete a degree in Zoology and a master’s degree in Marine Biology. He has worked as a biologist in Ireland and abroad, with animals as varied as fish, reptiles, birds and mammals.
Usna’s classes are designed to develop students’ appreciation and love for nature, the outdoors and Ireland’s heritage. The classes encourage development of observational, communication and creative skills. Classes ideally include an outdoor visit to a local habitat (within the schools grounds, or in walking distance from the school) and a classroom follow-up. Indoor activities include lively discussions, creative writing, wildlife art and quizzes. Classes can be adapted to accommodate all class levels, suit local themes or seasons and contribute to the Green Flag initiative. Classes include;
- Wildlife of Gardens and Woodlands
- Wildlife of Rivers
- Ireland’s Mammals
- Ireland’s Birds / Garden Birds
- The Marine World
- 5-Visit Programme If all five courses are attended, the 5th visit is fully funded by the Heritage Council. Students also get a certificate of completion to show that they have completed the Wildlife Series.
Points to note: Usna needs a 1:10 ratio for activities outside the school grounds; this can be parents/ volunteers/ teachers. Usna can tailor his teaching to your curriculum within a few days of notice. Field trips further afield can be considered at the request of a school.
"The content was very suitable for the children. The children were very engaged with the activities and really enjoyed the day."
- Caters for Special Needs
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips