- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Eras of change and conflict (History), Politics, conflict and society (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Human environments (Geography), Natural environments (Geography), Environmental awareness and care (Geography/Science), Living things (Science), Materials (Science), Energy and forces (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Laois, Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Over the past 7 years I have visited Primary schools in Tipperary and Limerick to provide environmental education programmes under the LA 21 Environmental Awareness initiative. I organized workshops for students mainly under the following themes:
Habitat studies – hedgerows, woodland, wild flower meadow and freshwater. This involved hands – on activities and team work in the investigations and recording of animals and plants.
Growing organic food and healthy food choices. I created raised beds with students in one school (incorporating mathematics) and introduced students to working with nature through composting and recycling. I have also engaged in measuring the distance from the raised beds to the school kitchen and contrasted the result with imported veg from Israel or Portugal, for example. I also get students enthused about ‘Gardening for wildlife’ and the importance of pollinators.
- Food chains, food webs and the inter relationships between organisms.
- Local geography. Reading the landscape features and searching for human factors in the landscape, for example, roads, bridges and also positive and negative farming impacts.
- History and Archaeology: Students share what they know about their local area, its historic building and famous people. They give examples of change over time, such as technology etc.
"Thoroughly enjoyed by all!"
"A great day - Sean is a fountain of knowledge." - Lismackin, Tipperary
"Séan was really engaging and the children found him very interesting. he had prepared very well in advance and the children learnt a lot from him." - Carrig NS, Tipperary
"Seán was excellent I would highly recommend him. The children were engaged and focused throughout the workshop."
"A great day. Sean is a fountain of knowledge." - Lismackin NS, Tipperary
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips