Erika Tyner Doyle
- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Life, society, work and culture in the past (History), Human environments (Geography), Environmental awareness and care (Geography/Science), Materials (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Carlow, Cavan, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Erika is an artist and previous OPW Guide with a background in heritage, teaching and child development. She offers creative workshops, visits and class projects on ancient art and culture. Art and story trails and visits to local heritage sites in the local landscape can be arranged. These cultivate a sense of place, an understanding of our culture and folklore. Pupils will visit, walk and draw the environment to imagine our ancient society and rituals.
In-person school visits
Choose from below or contact Erika for further information:
Learn about Neolithic sites in the local area. Walk and draw to see what evidence remains in the landscape. Pupils learn about ancient art, burial rituals, and farming practices, the solstice and equinox and how important the seasons were to survival.
Explore with the children how to research their families’ history and their own local heritage. This is class based and designed in conjunction with the teacher and uses questionnaires, visual art and story telling and can be continued in class and used for display later.
Can be school based to prepare for a visit to a major site so that the children can gain the most out of their visit. Alternatively, Erika can lead a trip to a local site. Research on the area will be done in advance and students will engage with the local history through stories and visual art.
All workshops can take place outside and within Covid Guidelines.
"Erika pitched the trail at the level of the children. the children were involved in active learning and greatly enjoyed the morning." - Bray School Project, Wicklow
- Provides in-person visits
- Caters for special needs
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips