- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Early people and ancient societies (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Human environments (Geography), Materials (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Cavan, Clare, Galway, Kildare, Laois, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Westmeath
- Classes catered for:
- All Classes
Donna is a museum archaeologist who has worked specifically in museum education - developing effective methods of heritage interpretation at a child-friendly level through the compilation and practice of curriculum-based education programmes and work-packs.
Donnas visits are very much rooted in the SESE curriculum strands, and are tailored to best suit the needs of each class. The children are introduced to different archaeological periods and to the work of the archaeologist.
Her visits include engaging visual presentations, class discussions and interactive hands-on activities which explain what an archaeologist does, how they interpret evidence from the past, and the changes and continuity between the past and the present. Visits can incorporate field trips to local archaeological monuments, introducing the children to the archaeology of their locality and immersing them in the heritage that is all around them.
- sandbox excavations
- artefact handling and discussions on object manufacture, materials and use
- the creation of a classroom museum
- crafting Stone Age art and pottery, Viking longboats and medieval tiles
- creating replicas of prehistoric, Early Christian and medieval jewellery and buildings
- curriculum relevant worksheets
"Donna was excellent with the children. She is very knowledgeable on her area and imported this well to the children. She had a good mix of ICT, discussion, worksheets and interactive hands on activities to keep the children engaged and interested. She adapted her workshop well to suit the younger children and discussed more challenging areas with the older children. Our school was delighted with her visit. Donna was very professional and accommodating when arranging the school visit and she was very organised for her day in our school."
"Donna packed a great deal into the day - excellent day."
"Great use of artefacts and exploratory work. Loved the link to grids for maths."
"Donna was excellent. She shared her expertise and enthusiasm with the students and it was a very enjoyable experience for us all. Thank you."
"Really worthwhile visit Children really enjoyed it Very engaging presentation Great resources provided Very hands on approach used Met objectives of curriculum All needs and classes catered for Expert was very well prepared for session Would certainly recommend to others" - Threen NS, Roscommon
"Donna had an excellent rapport with the students. She explained everything clearly and they were intrigued with her workshop."
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips
- 086 889 1477