Darach Ó Murchú
- Science, History, Geography
- Curriculum Strands:
- Story (History), Local Studies (History), Continuity and change over time (History), Natural environments (Geography), Environmental awareness and care (Geography/Science), Living things (Science), Materials (Science), Energy and forces (Science)
- Counties catered for:
- Classes catered for:
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Darach works in environmental, outdoor and nature education - as a teacher of wild food foraging courses (specialising in seaweed), a leader of nature walks, a Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics trainer and a facilitator of wildcraft and Forest Schools programmes. He strives to deliver holistic and experiential nature connection and place-based education programmes to children. Darach’s interests also include herbalism, permaculture, community, low impact living, growing food and other “traditional” living skills.
Darach can deliver:
- Forest Schools, combining nature education, crafting skills and foraging delivered using activities, play and storyelling. This programme brings a greater understanding of nature’s materials, a connection to our past and locality, and fosters personal growth and interpersonal development.
- Shoreline ecology workshops, covering habitats, plants & animals and the web of life and incorporating care for the environment. Delivered using interactive games and fun tasks, these workshops encourage exploration, curiosity and a sense of wonder.
- Gardening for wildlife, covering biodiversity, introducing habitats (such wildflower meadows, bug hotels) and ethnobotany (traditional plant uses). He does mini surveys, wildlife garden planning and seed collection to bring children closer to wildlife and a bit of wildlife closer to school.
Darach offers single-visit sessions or a series of workshops which can be delivered over multiple visits.
"I would highly recommend Darach for his passion and expertise"
"Darach was extremely well organised, had a great rapport with the children and an excellent understanding of balancing learning and fun." - Scoil Naomh Gobnait, Kerry
- Provides practical/ hands-on activities
- Provides field trips
- Offers visits as Gaeilge